The Darby Dipper Crucible Kiln
The Darby Dipper glass blower’s kiln will give you the freedom to enjoy crucible firing in a small space. Mix your own custom glass colors. Make paperweights, blown vessels, stringers, and much more. Imagine pulling your own neon tubing in this affordable kiln.
Crucible Cover, Extra Insulation, Recessed Grooves, K-25 Firebricks
The firebrick top is held in place with two spring latches. (For easy replacement, the top does not have a hinge.) Access the crucible through a 6” hole in the firebrick top. A firebrick crucible cover is placed over the 6” hole. The cover has a wooden handle, stainless steel band, and a 1/2” lip that fits into the crucible hole.
The Darby Dipper’s walls, top, and bottom are made of 3” high temperature K-25 firebricks. These bricks are 20% thicker than standard 2 1/2” firebricks and designed for prolonged high temperature holds. For extra insulation, the walls are wrapped with a ceramic fiber blanket, which is behind the stainless steel case. With the extra insulation and heavy-duty elements, the Darby Dipper is reliable even during very long heat soaks. For easy maintenance, tighten the stainless steel top band and kiln case with the case adjustment screws.
The heating elements are seated and protected in dropped, recessed sidewall grooves. The built-in stand comes with mar-proof plastic feet and provides the firebrick bottom with a full layer of sheet metal support.
The Darby Dipper comes with a mechanical relay, which sends power from the controller to the elements. You can order the optional deluxe mercury relay; it lasts much longer than the mechanical relay. We recommend the mercury relay for crucible kilns that will see heavy use. Scroll down past the kiln specifications for more information.
The deluxe S-Type platinum thermocouple with ceramic protection tube is standard on the Darby Dipper kiln. This deluxe thermocouple, usually found on large, expensive kilns, far outlasts the standard K-Type.
A Convenient Digital Controller
The Darby Dipper includes the Sentry Xpress digital controller. Because of the extended holds at high temperatures, the controller is in a separate wall-mounted panel. This keeps the controller away from the heat for longer life. The control panel is attached to the kiln with 6’ cables. The Sentry Xpress is user friendly and comes with a detailed instruction manual. For easy reference, place the Quick Start Guide near the kiln.
Program the digital controller for the exact consistency of glass melt that you need. Enjoy predictable, repeatable results. A pilot light glows when the elements turn on. The kiln comes with a one-year warranty. (Please note: Due to the long firing cycles of a crucible kiln, the warranty does not cover the heating elements.)
Sentry Xpress 3-key Controller Features
- Design programs with up to 8 segments (steps) in Ramp-Hold mode.
- Fire to a single temperature at a single speed in the simplified Single Speed mode.
- Ramp-Hold mode can store 4 programs.
- Skip a segment in Ramp-Hold during firing without having to stop the kiln to reprogram.
- Change the target temperature in Ramp-Hold during firing without having to stop the kiln to reprogram.
- Hold (soak) the temperature in both Single Speed and Ramp-Hold.
- Add Hold Time during firing without having to stop the kiln to reprogram.
- Control both heating and cooling in Ramp-Hold.
- Program Review lets you check the program you are about to fire.
- Program the Temperature Alarm to sound when the kiln reaches a specific temperature. Use this to remind yourself to check on the kiln.
- Temperature display throughout firing and cooling in your choice of °F or °C
- Thermocouple Offset adjusts the thermocouple readout.
- Set the Delay to turn on the kiln later to suit your schedule.
- Error Messages report mechanical problems such as a disconnected thermocouple, stuck relay or broken element.
- 12 Month Warranty
- LED Lights show whether you are in program, review, or firing mode.
- Colorful, illustrated instruction manual. Download it from the “Additional Information” section below to review these features in more detail.
- Handy Quick Start Guide
Wires are fastened to the elements with heat-dissipating connectors refined and proven over many years in Paragon kilns. Elements are coiled from the finest high-temperature wire available. The Darby Dipper control box is finished in a durable high temperature, water-base blue paint, which releases low emissions in the factory during spraying. This creates a safer working environment for our employees and cuts down on pollution.
And, of course, the glass blower’s Darby Dipper furnace is made in America by skilled workers. Many of them have been with Paragon for over a decade. Paragon is proud to be an employee-focused company.
Darby Dipper Features
- Deluxe S-Type platinum thermocouple
- Sentry Xpress digital controller
- 6” crucible hole with firebrick cover
- 3” thick firebricks in the top, walls, and bottom
- Ceramic fiber insulation behind the firebrick walls
- Stainless steel case tighteners for easy maintenance
- Dropped, recessed element grooves
- Built-in base; no extra stand needed
Have something good to say about the Darby Dipper Crucible Kiln? Tell Us