Paragon F-240 Lamp Working Kiln
Anneal large glass figurines in the digital F-240 lamp working kiln. Raise the spring-loaded vertical-drop door to insert a glass figurine with a punty rod. Lower the door. The punty rods or mandrels will extend outside the firing chamber through the small punty rod doors. This allows even large glass pieces to anneal safely.
Punty rod doors retain the heat
Two 4” x 7 1/2” punty rod doors will give you plenty of room to work with. Because of a gap under the punty rod doors, you can usually close them all the way even when mandrels extend past the firing chamber. Two layers of woven gaskets under each door help to hold in the heat. Powerful rare-earth magnets hold the punty rod doors in the open and closed positions. To help retain heat, the ceramic fiber punty rod doors are two inches thick.
New slide-out mandrel holder
We have added an adjustable mandrel holder to the front of the kiln. Adjust it horizontally and vertically without tools. Position the heavy-duty welded mandrel holder from 1 1/4” to 12” from the front edge of the main floor. (A firebrick extension on the front of the kiln fits under the punty rod doors beyond the front edge of the kiln floor.) Then tighten the mandrel holder with the thumb screws on each side of the kiln. The holder slides inside steel tubes mounted in the base of the kiln. The stainless steel mandrel rest, which includes 14 slots, can also be adjusted vertically.
New thicker firebricks in the F-240
The firebricks in the roof, walls, door, and bottom are 3” thick. This is 20% more insulation than the standard 2 1/2” firebricks in the walls and bottom of our earlier F-240 kilns. The extra insulation enables the F-240 to maintain a temperature hold with greater ease. A firebrick ledge extends 3” past the punty rod doors as a handy working surface.
For your safety the F-240 is rigorously tested by TUV to meet UL and CSA standards. TUV is Germany’s leading testing lab. We can make the F-240 for any electrical system in the world. The F-240 includes a safety on/off switch for your convenience. Electrical components stay cool in a slotted base. No extra stand is needed for your kiln.
Deluxe mercury relays are standard
We have upgraded the F-240 with the deluxe mercury relay, which controls the cycling of the heating elements. The relay is industrial grade and heavy-duty for extra long life. Ask experienced glass artists what they think of the relay.
Digital temperature controller
Maintain the annealing temperature indefinitely with the Sentry Xpress 3-key controller. The thermocouple, which senses the temperature, is protected with a high-nickel stainless steel sheath for long, trouble free life.
The Sentry Xpress 3-key controller is packed with features. It includes two modes: Single Speed and 8-segment Ramp-Hold. Single Speed is especially easy to program.
Features of the Sentry Xpress 3-key Controller on Paragon Glass Kilns
- Design programs with up to 8 segments (steps) in Ramp-Hold mode.
- Fire to a single temperature at a single speed in the simplified Single Speed mode.
- Ramp-Hold mode can store 4 programs.
- Skip a segment in Ramp-Hold during firing without having to stop the kiln to reprogram.
- Change the target temperature in Ramp-Hold during firing without having to stop the kiln to reprogram.
- Hold (soak) the temperature in both Single Speed and Ramp-Hold.
- Add Hold Time during firing without having to stop the kiln to reprogram.
- Control both heating and cooling in Ramp-Hold.
- Program Review lets you check the program you are about to fire.
- Program the Temperature Alarm to sound when the kiln reaches a specific temperature. Use this to remind yourself to check on the kiln.
- Temperature display throughout firing and cooling in your choice of °F or °C
- Thermocouple Offset adjusts the thermocouple readout.
- Set the Delay to turn on the kiln later to suit your schedule.
- Error Messages report mechanical problems such as a disconnected thermocouple, stuck relay or broken element.
- 12 Month Warranty
- LED Lights show whether you are in program, review, or firing mode.
- Colorful, illustrated instruction manual. Download it from the “Additional Information” section below to review these features in more detail.
Sidewall elements are now standard in the F-240
The F-240 elements heat from the sides and back of the kiln in dropped, recessed wall grooves. (This type of groove protects the elements.) We recommend that you order the optional safety door switch, which turns off the elements when the door is raised. (The temperature controller will continue to operate when the safety switch turns off the elements.)
If you prefer an element in the top instead of the walls, please specify when you place your order. The price of the F-240 is the same whether the elements are in the walls or the top. Top elements are mounted in deluxe pinless element grooves. For an extra fee, you can have both top and sidewall elements.
- On/off switch
- Safety pilot light
- Elements in the walls, protected in dropped, recessed grooves
- 3” insulating refractory firebricks throughout the firing chamber
- Optional door safety switch
- Electrical components stay cool in a slotted base. No extra stand is needed.
- Long-life electrical system
- Coated roof for extra durability
- Precisely balanced spring-loaded vertical-drop door
- 2 - 4” x 7 1/2” punty rod doors
- Double gaskets under the 2" thick punty rod doors
- Thermocouple with high-nickel stainless steel sheath for long life
- Rare earth magnets hold the punty rod doors open or closed.
- Deluxe mercury relay
- TUV tested to UL and CSA standards
- Mar-proof plastic feet
- Made in the USA.
- Shipped in a wooden crate.
Included with your kiln is a 16 page controller instruction manual and a quick start programming guide, all written in plain English and fully illustrated.
Durable wooden crate
There is no extra charge for crating. Inquire about the crating cost of a competitive kiln when figuring prices. Because Paragon is in the central U.S. along a major shipping route, our shipping cost is often lower than that of our competition. We pass this savings on to you.
Made in USA
The F-240 is made at the Paragon factory in Mesquite, Texas USA. Every phone call received at the factory during business hours is answered by a customer service representative who will direct your call to the appropriate person. Your call will not be shuffled to a voice mail system during business hours. We are open from 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Central Standard Time, Monday through Thursday. Our expanded hours allow us to serve customers in differing time zones. Call us—we look forward to hearing from you.