Paragon SC-2 Pro Silver & Glass Kiln
Comparing the SC-2 and SC-2 Pro Upgrade
The venerable SC-2 has been in production since 1997. It is a proven design that we have steadily refined over the years. Thousands of artists in the U.S., Canada, Europe, and Japan love their SC-2.
The sleek SC-2 Pro has the same ceramic fiber firing chamber as the standard SC-2. In addition, the SC-2 Pro features a brushed stainless steel door with an easy-to-open 9” long wooden handle. The door opens and closes gently with an adjustable, spring-loaded catch on the bottom. The control panel is sloped for easy viewing and operation of the controller. The doors on both kilns open 180 degrees to give you full access to the interior. The SC-2 Pro also has an easy-access back panel for quick maintenance.
Solid State Relay
The SC-2 Pro elements are powered by a quiet, solid state relay. For your security, the solid state relay is backed by a mechanical safety relay that turns off the heating elements should the solid state relay ever fail.
What Can You Make with an SC-2 Pro?
You can try the amazing Art Clay Silver, PMC silver clay, and even glass clay. Shape these clays with simple tools. Firing the clays in a kiln to the correct temperature turns the clays into solid silver or glass. Fire china paint, enameling, and glass fusing in minutes. Create unique jewelry that you cannot buy in a store. Give incredible gifts that sparkle with dichroic glass. The SC-2 Pro fires up to 2000°F.
A Proven Design
The high-tech ceramic fiber firing chamber is wrapped in a steel inner case. The outer steel case remains cool due to the air gap under it. In addition, the case is slotted for air circulation. Electrical components, located in the base, stay cool even at extended hold times.
Large Yet Portable
The SC-2 Pro can hold three shelves of silver clay yet is portable enough to take with you to classes. Program the firing schedule that is perfect for your projects. The kiln turns itself off after the firing is completed. (Please note, however, that you should be near the kiln during operation.) The SC-2 Pro is great in classrooms because the elements are embedded in ceramic fiber.
Even Heat Distribution
As with the standard SC-2, the SC-2 Pro has separate heating elements in the left and right sides of the firing chamber. The back of the chamber has no element, so the heat distribution in the SC-2 Pro is even throughout the firing chamber, because heat does not build up in the back.
Affordable, Easy to Program
The SC-2 Pro, for a digital kiln, is surprisingly affordable and proudly made in America to exacting standards. It fires automatically at the rate and temperature you enter. A large, brightly lit display prompts for firing rate, temperature, and hold time. Use the hold feature to automatically soak any type of clay silver to its recommended time. Each SC-2 Pro includes a 1/4” thick ceramic fiber shelf.
SC-2 Pro Features
- On/off switch
- Solid state relay
- Mechanical safety relay
- Door opens 180 degrees for easy loading
- Slotted case for air circulation.
- Electrical components in the base stay cool even at extended hold times.
- The embedded side elements for improved heat distribution
- Top vent complete with tapered plug for lost wax casting
- Includes a 1/4” thick ceramic fiber shelf
- Power cord located out of the way at the back of the SC-2 Pro cabinet.
- Optional SC-2 Pro glass view port
- Optional 6 1/2” wide bead door with mandrel holder
- Printed 28-page kiln instruction manual
- Printed 16-page Sentry Xpress temperature controller manual
The Amazing Digital Controller
The reliable Sentry Xpress 3-key controller is packed with features. It includes two modes: Single Speed and 8-segment Ramp-Hold.
Features of the Sentry Xpress 3-key Controller
- Design programs with up to 8 segments (steps) in Ramp-Hold mode.
- Fire to a single temperature at a single speed in the quick and simple Single Speed mode.
- Ramp-Hold mode can store 4 programs.
- Skip a segment in Ramp-Hold during firing without having to stop the kiln to reprogram.
- Change the target temperature in Ramp-Hold during firing without having to stop the kiln to reprogram.
- Add Hold Time during firing without having to stop the kiln to reprogram.
- Hold (soak) the temperature in both Single Speed and Ramp-Hold.
- Control both heating and cooling in Ramp-Hold.
- Program Review lets you check the program before a firing.
- Program the Temperature Alarm to sound when the kiln reaches a specific temperature. Use this to remind yourself to check on the kiln.
- Temperature display throughout firing and cooling in your choice of °F or °C
- Thermocouple Offset adjusts the thermocouple readout.
- Set the Delay to turn on the kiln later to suit your schedule.
- Error Messages report mechanical problems.
- 12 Month Warranty
- LED Lights show whether you are in program, review, or firing mode.
- Colorful, illustrated instruction manual (separate from the kiln manual). Download it from the “Additional Information” section below to review these features in more detail.
- Handy Quick Start Guide
The SC-2 Pro can ship by UPS for lower shipping cost and faster service. Specially designed cartons and foam padding assure that the kiln will arrive safely.
Our Mesquite, Texas Factory
Every call that we receive during business hours is answered by a live person at the factory. We are here to help you long after the sale. When you buy a Paragon kiln, you actually become a member of our family.
We are open from 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Central Standard Time, Monday through Thursday. Our expanded hours allow us to serve customers in differing time zones. Not only can you phone us directly; we also have a wide network of repair technicians throughout the U.S.
45% of Paragon’s factory work force has been here over 10 years; 20% have worked here over 20 years. All Paragon kilns are made in America. We are proud to support the American worker.