Paragon SC-3 Silver & Glass Kiln with Bead Door
The heat of the kiln is magical and offers wonderful surprises. Stained glass, enamels, and ceramic glazes undergo a complete transformation in the kiln. Opening a kiln to view your treasures is a special moment that you will never outgrow.
The digital SC-3 kiln fires Art Clay Silver and PMC silver clays, decals, china paint, enameling, and glass in minutes up to 2000°F. The SC-3 is popular with seminar teachers because it fires fast, plugs into a standard 120 volt household outlet, ships by UPS, and is large enough to fire many pieces.
The SC-3 has been in production since 1998. It is a proven design that we have steadily refined every year since 1998. Artists in the U.S., Canada, Europe, and Japan love their SC-3.
The SC-3, for a digital kiln, is surprisingly affordable. It fires automatically at the rate and temperature you enter. A large, brightly lit display prompts for firing rate, temperature and hold time. Use the hold feature to automatically soak any type of clay silver to its recommended time.
The 6 1/2” wide bead door includes a brushed stainless steel mandrel holder. The high-tech ceramic fiber firing chamber is wrapped in a steel inner case. The outer steel case remains cool due to a layer of air under it. In addition, the case is slotted for air circulation. Electrical components, located in the base, stay cool even at extended hold times.
The fast-firing element is embedded in the firing chamber shell. Each SC-3 includes a 1/4” thick ceramic fiber shelf. A powerful rare earth magnet holds the bead door open.
The SC-3 has separate heating elements in the left and right sides of the firing chamber. The back of the chamber has no element. This results in improved heat distribution, because heat does not build up in the back of the kiln.
- 6 1/2”-wide bead door with brushed stainless steel mandrel holder
- On/off safety switch
- Door opens 180 degrees
- The case is slotted for air circulation
- Electrical components in the base stay cool even at extended hold times
- The embedded element heats from the two sides
- Top vent complete with tapered plug for lost wax casting
- Includes a 1/4” thick ceramic fiber shelf
- Optional glass view port
The reliable Sentry Xpress 3-key controller is packed with exciting features. It includes two firing modes: Single Speed and 8-segment Ramp-Hold.
Features of the Sentry Xpress 3-key Controller on Non-Ceramic Paragon Kilns
- Design programs with up to 8 segments (steps) in Ramp-Hold mode.
- Fire to a single temperature at a single speed in the simplified Single Speed mode.
- Ramp-Hold mode can store 4 programs.
- Skip a segment in Ramp-Hold during firing without having to stop the kiln to reprogram.
- Change the target temperature in Ramp-Hold during firing without having to stop the kiln to reprogram.
- Hold (soak) the temperature in both Single Speed and Ramp-Hold. Experiment with Hold to improve color saturation of china paints.
- Add Hold Time during firing without having to stop the kiln to reprogram.
- Control both heating and cooling in Ramp-Hold.
- Program Review lets you check the program you are about to fire.
- Program the Temperature Alarm to sound when the kiln reaches a specific temperature. Use this to remind yourself to check on the kiln.
- Temperature display throughout firing and cooling in your choice of °F or °C
- Thermocouple Offset adjusts the thermocouple readout.
- Set the Delay to turn on the kiln later to suit your schedule.
- Error Messages report mechanical problems such as a disconnected thermocouple, stuck relay or broken element.
- 12 Month Warranty
- LED Lights show whether you are in program, review, or firing mode.
- Colorful, illustrated instruction manual. Download it from the “Additional Information” section below to review these features in more detail.
- A Quick Start Guide to place near your kiln as a handy reference
The SC-3 can ship by UPS. Enjoy lower shipping cost and faster service. Specially designed cartons and foam padding assure that the kiln will arrive safely.
Designed for production
Paragon’s warranty is not affected by frequency of use. Fire your new kiln every day if you want, even in commercial settings. That will have no effect on the warranty period.
Optional colors at no extra charge
Brighten your studio with color! Order your kiln in one of our standard colors at no extra charge . . . berry, black, blue, hot pink, jade, navy, purple, or turquoise. Scroll down to see color samples in the options section.
Have something good to say about the SC3-BD? Tell Us
"This has been a great kiln. I've fired it at least ten times
since February of this year. No problems at all. I also own a
top loading Janus I've had for maybe 6 years by now.
Again, no problems. It doesn't get used much. Every time I
need it, it works!
John" - John Delaney, Oakland / CA