The inner door surface is recessed for a good fit. The door opens easily yet remains securely closed with the spring latch. The door is mounted on a heavy duty hinge shaft. As you can see, the sturdy Xpress-J-11 is built for long life.
The Xpress-J-11 comes with a vent hole and ceramic vent hole plug in the top. Vent lost wax casting and silver clay fillers such as cork clay. The Sentry Xpress controller, located in the slotted base, stays cool for long life. Since the controls are mounted in the base, the Xpress-J-11 takes up less tabletop space than kilns that have a side-mounted switch box. No extra stand is needed. The kiln includes a power switch on the front panel. The element uses Paragon’s heat-dissipating connectors, which have been perfected over many years in Paragon kilns.
The Xpress-J-11 is available with an optional wax tray for lost wax casting.
If you have never used a digital controller, you will be amazed at the convenience of digital firing. The Xpress-J-11’s controller continually monitors the firing so you can spend your time productively without closely watching the kiln. The sealed touch pad keeps out dust and is easy to wipe clean.
The Xpress-J-11’s user-friendly 3-key Sentry Xpress 3-key controller includes two firing modes: Single Speed and 8-segment Ramp-Hold. As you can see from the controller features below, you can change the program even while the kiln is firing.
The Sentry Xpress 3-key Controller
- Design programs with up to 8 segments (steps).
- Fire to a single temperature at a single speed in the simplified Single Speed mode.
- Ramp-Hold mode can store 4 programs.
- Skip a segment in Ramp-Hold without stopping the kiln to reprogram.
- Change the target temperature in Ramp-Hold without stopping the kiln to reprogram.
- Hold (soak) the temperature in both Single Speed and Ramp-Hold for as long as necessary.
- Add Hold Time without stopping the kiln to reprogram.
- Control both heating and cooling in Ramp-Hold.
- Program Review lets you check the program you are about to fire.
- Program the Temperature Alarm to sound when the kiln reaches a specific temperature. Use this to remind yourself to check on the kiln.
- View the temperature display throughout firing and cooling in your choice of °F or °C.
- Thermocouple Offset adjusts the thermocouple readout.
- Set the Delay to turn on the kiln later to suit your schedule.
- Error Messages report mechanical problems such as a disconnected thermocouple, stuck relay or broken element.
- 12 Month Warranty
- LED Lights show whether you are in program, review, or firing mode.
- Colorful, illustrated instruction manual. Download it from the “Additional Information” section below to review these features in more detail.
- You will also receive a Quick Start Guide to place near your kiln as a handy reference.
Thermocouple with “special limit” wire
The thermocouple senses temperature inside the kiln. It is the small rod that extends into the firing chamber. The ¼” wide Type-K, 14-gauge, exposed-tip thermocouple is made with special-limit wire for superior accuracy. The exposed tip gives the controller a fast response time for even temperatures during holds. The thermocouple is made in America to our exacting standards.
Designed for production
Paragon’s warranty is not affected by frequency of use. Fire your new kiln every day if you want, even in commercial settings. That will have no effect on the warranty period.
Optional colors at no extra charge
Brighten your studio with color! Order your kiln in one of our standard colors at no extra charge . . . berry, black, blue, hot pink, jade, navy, purple, or turquoise. Scroll down to see color samples in the options section.